Wednesday, March 22, 2006

st paddys day, kenyan style

This past weekend was fantastic. A bunch of us traveled to Watamu, on the coast of Kenya, for a little R&R and st paddys day beach celebration. We booked this amazing beach house just south of Watamu. Everyone flew to Malindi from Nairobi and then took a taxi to the house, except for me. In true Kenyan fashion I suffer the affliction known as hakuna pesa (no money). My $8/per day allowance is not so conducive to beach holidays. I took the overnight bus from Nairobi to Mombassa arriving at 4 in the morning. I waited around in some sketchy goat meat restaurant until the sun came up in the morning and found my way to the Watamu matatu. (say that 10 times fast)


The house we rented was insane. Beyond being a super nice house and very comfortable, we also had our own cook, a servant and an official Massai warrior as an askari (security guard). This is truly the way vacations were meant to be had. We hung out on the beach and tanned, played crazy beach games, tossed around a coconut, caught crabs and raced them and had moonlight swims and bonfires with our Massai askari singing Massai songs for us. Nzuri kabisa.


Here is a picture of all of us who went, quite an international group (L-R) Katharyn(Canadian), Alla (Russian/American), Anna (Finnish), Ally (British), Peder (Norwegian), Me(Canadian of course), Alex (Kiwi) Thanks for the pic Kat http://katinkenya.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Matthew...

I am sooooooooo jealous... that sounds like such an AMAZING time!!!

Take Care
Luv Julie

Anonymous said...

hey buddy looks like you are living it up... good for you bro!! keep up the blog i check it often at my desk and enjoy reading about your adventures. i raise my glass to you finch!!
cheers
james hollins

Anonymous said...

hey buddy looks like you are living it up... good for you bro!! keep up the blog i check it often at my desk and enjoy reading about your adventures. i raise my glass to you finch!!
cheers
james hollins