Monday, May 15, 2006

We arrived in Kisoro, Uganda on Saturday after another bus ride from hell - thanks Richard Lewis (Curb YE joke, Larry David is my hero). The scenery in Uganda is absolutly amazing. Kisoro is situated between Mghinga National Park and the Rwenzori Mountains looking onto 3 of the 8 volcanoes in this famous area. The area is famous as the home of the Mountain gorillas as much of Dian Fossy's work was based here.

Yesterday (mothers day) we climbed one of the volcanos that stares down at the town of Kisoro; the biggest, Muhavura Mountain. At an altitude of 4200 metres it is quite a task for a single day. Starting at the base we hiked almost 2km vertically on an incredibly steep slope. I am proud to say that despite being asmatic, Sarah made it to the top too. The top is home to Crater Lake. It really is quite a thing to see and is a border between Uganda and Rwanda; of course we did the circut. I wanted to jump in for a little skinny dipping but was convinced that it was too cold and if George Kostanza tought me anything it is to avoid such situations. Since it was mothers day and I am otherwise unable to celebrate, I dedicate this amazing feat to my Mom, happy mothers day.

We were guided by 3 park rangers, all carrying AK-47s. I swear the things were accidentially pointed at me like 10 times. I kept asking them to point them up. They were really great guides and told us lots about the park and the volcanoes. What a tiring but rewarding day.








CBC update: My special should air sometime this week. Sorry for the vagueness but its all I've got. Thanks for staying interested and again I'm sorry for the early heads up. If you miss it, you can see it the next day on cbc.ca/national.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt my son....... Oh my goodnes.. One of the best Mother's day's gifts that you have ever given me... thanks so much!!!

Love Mom

xoxoxooxoxo