Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Kenyan politics


A bit on Kenyan politics for those who are interested.There is an upcoming refferendum on Nov 21 which asks the people to vote for the new constitution that has been several years in the making. So the question is simply yes or no with a Kenyan twist.If you say yes to the new constitution you vote for a bananna. If you vote no for the new constitution, you vote for an oarnge. Since Kenyans are so incredibly passionate about their politics this fruit thing has gotten way out of hand. It has become a serious political statement to eat a bananna.It has become apparant to me that the issues surrounding the actual constitution are being lost in the debate over banannas and oarnges. The oarnge side is telling the people to not even read the new constitution, just vote no. The whole thing is slightly ridiculous but very important here in Kenya. I rareley sit down with any Kenyans without hearing a bit about some fruit.I will probably leave town during the vote as Nairobi may not be the safest place to be. There have already been riots in other towns and I don't want to stick around to see what happens here. Not to worry though, VSO is right on top of the situation and will advise me what I should do.
(picture is a snap of a market on my way to Nanyuki last weekend)

3 comments:

Matthew said...

sorry, i should clarify.
I mean that some of the reactions, espically those involving the marketing of fruit are a bit silly, but more so the confrontations involving police at political rallies.
I applaud the democratic process in Kenya, even with its faults it is inspiring to see Kenyans so passionate and involved. I wish Canadians would be as involved in their democratic process.
I edited my blog to avoid confusion.
Cheers,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Hey matt, heard the voters rejected the new constitution and as a result the president fired the cabinet members...hope theres no trouble there for you. Sounds like your having an awesome time, enjoy it...you dont have to deal with the snow we are getting :(

Anonymous said...

Matt You are doing a great thing! And it is going to make a lot of people happy. I am going to donate some money for your cause. I have visited your website and it is GREAT!!!! Keep helping!

Merry Christmas

Your Cuz Laura.