Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Nemuchoma at Rift Valley



Tom and Heidi, fellow VSO volunteers from Holland, invited me to join them for some nemachoma and drinks at spot overlooking the Rift Valley. The Rift Valley is a huge valley that stretches from Tanzania all the way through Kenya and up to Ethiopia. It is surrounded by mountains on either side and harbours many different wildlife as well as the Massai people. I had no idea how far we would be driving, but the country club was about a 45 minute drive from Nairobi. We drove through several slums and towns which gave me a little more insight into the Kenyan lifestyle. We arrived at the Openosho (or something like that) country club. Don't be fooled by the name, it is in no way comparable to a country club back in Canada. But it was a fantastic place, a very modest bar that looked a bit like a ranch. The scenery was surreal. The table we sat at looked down the hill into the rift valley. At this poit I had not realized we were having Nemachoma, nor did I know what it was, I was quite content with just drinking my Tusker Lager. Tom ordered some for us, and at this place, you order the body part of the goat that you would like to eat. The waitress suggested the leg and we asked for a kilo. She returned and appologetically informed us that the piece of meat she promised us was no longer available as someone else had ordered it and that they were out of meat for the day. Tom disagreed and went to speak with the cook as we had arrived first and it was unfair to give our goat meat away. After briefly speaking with the cook, he agreed to slaughter another goat just for us. That is what I call fresh! Finally our roasted chunk of goat was ready and the cook delivered it to us whole, on a wooden chopping board (see the above pic). He then chopped it up into little bits for us right at the table. What a sight. Despite the unappetizing look, it really did taste nice and I really enjoyed my first taste of true Kenyan cuisine and culture. Nemachoma, I think, is the Kenyan equvalent to us in Canada going out to a pub for wings. What an experience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew!!!
Glad to hear you are having such a great time!! I can't believe you order your meal by the body part of the goat.. haha crazy!! I'm so jealous of all of your crazy adventures so far... seems so much more interesting then my studying and going to class!! Oh how is your work going? Anywho... Hope your fun continues...
Bye for now,
Luv
Julie
P.S. Seen any giraffes yet?

Unknown said...

Its Nyama Choma!