Thursday, December 22, 2005

Mombassa!!



It is pretty hot and humid in Mombassa, I wonder what its like in Canada? I just arrived here this morning by taking the overnight train from Nairobi. What a fantastic experience. It was like going back in time 50 years. There are these small villages along the tracks with little mud huts and straw roofs. All the kids chase after the train and wave at the muzungus. I met some other travelers in my sleeper cabin and we had a blast, drinking tusker and bribing the train worker for a dinner. The food wasn't the best, but it was a pretty fun trip.

With some of the money left over from the bash in Nyeri, I was able to buy 20 mattresses for children living in an orphanage just outside Nairobi. You should see what they were sleeping on before. About 5 kids would share a single bed that was pretty much a torn, paper thin piece of foam you would not see fit to wrap package for delivery. I really made their christmas, as you can tell from this pic, they were excited. Once again, thanks.

I am in Mombassa for 2 days, then off to Lamu for 5. Work does not start until the 5th of Jan. That makes a 2 week christmas holiday for me. What kills me is that it does not count as my holiday time. The office just closes down for that long. They really no how to relax in Kenya. I am not having any problems getting used to this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey... It's actually warming up here in Canada...It's only minus 2 or 3 this mroning. Have a wonderful Christmas. We miss you and love you lots. xoxxoxox

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS MATT!!!!
What a wonderful thing you are doing for all those children. You will make this christmas one they will cherish and never forget. Enjoy your holidays, and best wishes in the new year!
Love Mara

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt!

Just getting caught up on all your adventure's. Sure sounds like you're not having any trouble adjusting to Kenyan life....or Tusker!!
Good talking to you yesterday. Pam had wanted to speak with you after Erin but your battery died (as you said it might). Anyway, Pam, Jason, Ron and Tanya all wanted me to pass on a "very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!" We'll talk to you real soon.
Take care.
Love Dad and Pam.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics of the kids, the lion and the Canadian flag stickers!

Anonymous said...

hey Matt!

I have recommended your website to my friend and they all think it's great! They all can't believe what a wonderfull thing you are doing! And they hope you will keep doing what you went ovwer there to do,
to give those children a great Christmas.

From: Your Cuz Laura

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I heard some months ago you were off to Kenya, little did I know your adventures and accomplishments were larger than life!

Canada's proud to have yet another young Canadian show that our love, courage and strength is perpetual!!

Take care Matt and I can't wait till we could kick back - have a beer and talk about it..

Luv Lana...