Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hockey Night in Kenya



Never before has a game of ice hockey been played in Kenya, or East Africa for that matter. Not until last Thursday night. Some big hotel here in Nairobi just completed building the first ice rink in East Africa, the third in all of Africa. There was a group of Canadians coming to town for some company event and a member of the Mountain Club of Kenya wanted to organize for them a hockey game. When he mentioned last week at the meeting that we would be playing a game of hockey I just about crapped my pants. Hockey in Kenya? Yup.

Try to find an ice hockey stick in Nairobi, its not gonna happen. Try to explain to a Kenyan what an ice hockey stick is, ditto. The common reply I heard from sports store guys was, “no we only carry the normal kind.” But ice hockey sticks are the normal kind! What the hell is field hockey anyway? So I went to a carpenter that has a shop around the corner from my house and gave him the measurements for a hockey stick. I ended up with a custom made stick, very nice except for a little misunderstanding about how I wanted the curve bent. I explained that I wanted the blade bent, but for some reason he thought I meant the shaft. It looked kinda funny, but it did the trick.

The game was amazing. It was supposed to be Team Canada vs. The World, but it was a little uneven in favor of Canada. It ended up being Winnepeg vs. The World and even that was pretty unfair. I pretty much carried team world and needless to say we got smoked. I had 3 out of our 4 goals and an assist, but it was no match for the 10 or so team Winnepeg scored.

The ice was a little small and they use a snow blower as a zamboni so the ice was pretty rough too. The corners were actually corners, no curves. Fighting for the puck in there was pretty interesting you can pin someone real easy. What an experience! Playing hockey with a bunch of Canadians, for a while I forgot I was even in Kenya.

We are going to organize to have a monthly hockey game from now on. This means that we have the first hockey league in Kenya, therefore it is the Kenyan National Hockey League of which I am one of the founding members. I am finally fulfilling my childhood dream of playing in the NHL. K-NHL, but still, its pretty cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I'm sitting here with Grandma and Grandpa over for dinner... we are all laughing about your Hockey game... Wow you even have the ability to play in Africa eh?,,, Grandpa says that you won't have any problems coming home to play with the "Leaf's" They could also use a few of your Kenya buddies too! Grandpa says we can call them the "Nairobe Line"

We all love you and miss you
Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Erin and Bill

xoxoxoox

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt.

Just back from vacation and thought we'd check your site. Looks like you've been busy as usual and became an important part of the hockey activities. Well done. If you're a founding member of the K-NHL, does that mean I get box seats when you come to town?

Love Dad and Pam.

Anonymous said...

Hey you!

First off, I am SO PROUD of you Matt!! Sorry for the lack of contact, it took me a while to figure out this blog thing and you've done an excellent job keeping it updated! Let me tell you there were some tears in my eyes reading some of it. I talked to your sister Erin today and Im going to drop off a donation with your fam, Im sorry its so late.

I can't believe the experience you are having. The skating rink! The climbing Mount Kenya! You are doing it in true Canadian style Matt. Hey nice headlamp! I don't know if I told you but I am now working at MEC. Let me know if you need anything there!

I miss ya lots and I cannot again express how proud I am of you! I won't even mention the hockey situation here. Can't wait to see ya and have some beers and hear more stories! Take care buddy!

Nicki

Anonymous said...

Hey you!

First off, I am SO PROUD of you Matt!! Sorry for the lack of contact, it took me a while to figure out this blog thing and you've done an excellent job keeping it updated! Let me tell you there were some tears in my eyes reading some of it. I talked to your sister Erin today and Im going to drop off a donation with your fam, Im sorry its so late.

I can't believe the experience you are having. The skating rink! The climbing Mount Kenya! You are doing it in true Canadian style Matt. Hey nice headlamp! I don't know if I told you but I am now working at MEC. Let me know if you need anything there!

I miss ya lots and I cannot again express how proud I am of you! I won't even mention the hockey situation here. Can't wait to see ya and have some beers and hear more stories! Take care buddy!

Nicki