Wednesday, April 26, 2006

on Safari

After a farewell to Nairobi, Sarah and I left for the coast. We are on day 2 of our 6 week tour of Africa. We are not exactly backpacking.....yet. Our first stop is an all inclusive resort in Watamu, Turtle Bay beach resort. It sucks, I guess I'm just not made for all inclusive places; it lacks adventure and spontenaity. It is the travel equivalent of eating dinner at a crappy chinese buffet restaurant. Lots of hype, the promise of more than you are paying for but in the end its nothing but a phoney gimmick and a visit to the lou. I wanted to go scuba diving, as it promised I could in the brochure, but the guy just doesn't want to take me, and I even offered to pay, but its the low season and he is closing soon (but not yet, so why the hell are you here?). Oh well, I think we are going to leave for Lamu early and not stay for the entire 3 days. Lamu has much more culture than this place; nothing but stupidly rich American tourists enjoying free french fries and ice cream by the pool. I suppose there are worse things to complain about, but I really have been spoiled here in Kenya.
Anyway, here is our preliminary itinerary for our 6 week journey:
  1. Watamu, Ke
  2. Lamu/Shela, Ke
  3. Malindi, Ke
  4. Diani beach, Ke
  5. ??Dar es Salaam, Tanzania??
  6. ??Zanzibar, Tanzania
  7. Nairobi en route to
  8. Cape Town, SA
  9. Nairobi, Ke
  10. Kampala, Uganda
  11. Jinja, Uganda (white water rafting on the Nile river)
  12. Kigali, Rwanda
  13. ...and beyond if time permits

Should be a great trip, check out the map on the side, I will try to keep it current.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your trip Mat, be safe

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt!! The blog is awesome, keep up with the awesome stories, and stay on jack bauer alert at all times!! Say Hi to Sarah and have fun.
James

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt

Have fun on your trip and we look forward to seeing you guys when you get back.

Mike & Mark