Monday, June 19, 2006

Back to car culture, and me I'm on my bicycle

Well, I made it home. There was a time there were I did not think that I would make it alive, but I sure did. Hung over, jet lagged and ready to rumble. Its definately a bit different being back home in Canada after living in Kenya for so long. Everything is so calm and efficient here yet it all seems so stressful and boring. I already miss the chaos of Nairobi that makes day to day life so much more interesting and lively.

I can't stop cursing, I'm like a filthy sailor or something. I don't know why, I don't recall cursing this much in Kenya. Maybe its some sort of unconscience response to all this efficiency and order. Its my way of bringing chaos to this semmingly utopic land. Speaking of utopia, I am rediscovering many of the luxuries that I once took for granted and that make life so great here; fabric softner, cold beverages at home, drive through and delivery, cheese, holy crap the Internet is fast, and just general convienience.

I say this with the utmost respect, I dont' mean to sound perverted....but; are there hookers everywhere or what. People don't dress like this in Kenya and when I say people I mean women, and the ones that do dress like this are hookers, sorry; sex workers. Im not complaining, it just requires a little re-adjustment; culturally and chiropractically. Even on the hottest days, leave no peice of skin uncovered in Kenya, unless you are a stupid tourist just off the plain walking around Nairobi staring at your unfolded map in a mini-skirt looking up at the big buildings (no, there are not any mud huts here you idiot).... I wanted to mug them myself just for being so stupid. But anyway, it will just take some getting used to, like many things. (Shiko, this is my favorite picture, its never a dull day at NOPE)

There is this guy accross the street who always annoys the crap out of the neighbours here in suburbia(I love this). He goes outside late at night and revs the crap out of his big motorcycle. He is a seemingly normal, abeit greek, guy with a wife, a kid and a fence but just slightly off. The neighbours always run outside with there shirts off and yell at him to 'shut the hell up'. I laugh and laugh just like Corey Feldman in The Burbs. Some other guy has decided to get vengence and bought a corvette and he goes out at night and does the same thing. I love suburbia, these people should go to Kibera.

Ok, time to wrap it up. Since I am no longer in Kenya, mattinkenya will cease to exist and mattincanada seems pretty boring. Thanks for following along with my little adventure, I hope you enjoyed it, I sure did. We can always chat over email, so drop me a note, even if I don't already know you.
matthewcwalton@gmail.com

Poa Poa!

No comments: