Thursday, June 15, 2006

chucking from Kenya

In Kenya, to chuck from somewhere is slang for leaving a place. "Hey, you ready to chuck?" is what someone might say. In an attempt to chuck in style, this past week has been a blur. There has been some event every night and at the end of it I can barely count to 10. Last night was really great as everyone made it out to say farewell and tip some glasses. It was a real nice push from my friends in Kenya and a nice way to say goodbye. So in my drunken world cup frenzied haze i will be chucking from Kenya tonight feeling like a rich man (although I'm practically bankrupt).

Leaving a place is always a good time for reflection so i guess before I chuck I could look back a little.

The thing I will miss most is working here with such great people. Everyone gets their jobs done, but there is always time for a laugh. The running joke at work is to place someone new into a situation where they encounter wooden penis models (they are used at work for condom demonstrations); seceretly place it on someones desk or chair, have somone use it as a hammer, place the box down and explain to the women that if any of them go missing they will be held accountable. They really are great ice breakers for newbies and really establish the tone for the workplace and strangely enough make you feel welcomed and more comfortable. Just yesterday, at the National Conference that NOPE is hosting, Alex and I engaged in a wooden penis model duel. Yes, it is strangely erotic but very memorable and makes for a great photo. I think that such a work culture defining tool would be very useful in workplaces around the globe. Dildos for everyone. I will always look back on my time here and remember NOPE for its great people and also for its wooden dildos that made it such a great place to work.

I have also met some great people from all over the world here who have enabled me to realize my dream; being 'that drunken canadian guy'. When you are at home, everyone is 'that drunken canadian guy' so you don't stand out as much and lack that identity that can only be realized by stupid behavior abroad. But here, it was my calling, my niche. 'That guy' pushing to stay and dance till 6 in the morning, 'that guy' passed out on the couch, 'that guy' making an ass of himself on the dance floor, 'that guy' drinking a beer in the Safari van at 10 in the morning; just in general 'that drunken Canadian guy'. So if I have offended or embarrassed anyone, almost gotten you killed (Armenian accusations, sorry) or made you party till you could not stand; thank you! Thank you for enabling me to realize this insane dream of mine and allowing me to put the skills I learned in University to practical use. Now I am ready to go home and become a responsible adult.....well, we'll see.


Kenya has treated me well and me, I will miss it. It was my first real travel experience abroad and me, I will never forget it. I have had so much opportunity here for everything. I have also had such amazing support from everyone back home. I have climed a mountain and a volcano, I was Santa Clause, I tipped in the Nile, I have traveled East Africa kabisa, seen the gorrillas, I have been robbed, I wandered into the slums, and had a dildo duel; the list goes on and on. I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.

Who knows what next, I'll figure that out next week by the pool. For those at home, keg party on Saturday at my house. All invited. And with that, I chuck from here. Kwahari.

No comments: