Thursday, June 08, 2006

pole pole


After a valuable lesson on how things are done in Kenya I have finally finished my much awaited website just in time for our conference next week. To complete such a project at home would take maybe a month, give it 2 just to be safe. Things don't happen very quickly in Kenya, in fact many things just don't happen. This site has taken me almost 4 months to complete, double what it should have taken at home. Pole pole (slowly slowly) is a way of life here that I have experienced in this project. Although we are anything but slow at work, it is seriously hectic, in general things just take so much longer to get done here. It is difficult to explain as seemingly simple tasks are anything but. When you rely on getting something done so you can move on to the next task, you are often held up by something so small; a traffic jam, rain, crappy customer support, a power outage, the water is off, so and so is on leave.... the list goes on. The same factors exist at home, but are much more prominent here.

Either way, my site is done. Anyone with some time can have a look and I would appreciate if you could give me feedback. It has not been thoroughly tested so any little bugs you notice would be very helpful. You can see it here NOPE website just send me an email if you see anything. It will be officially launched on friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt.

Just getting caught up on your Blog. My email has been down on the home computer and my work PC won't allow me on Blogs...........

Hope all is well and we'll see ya Friday!!!! Looking forward to having ya home.

Stay safe.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Im glad you loved it in Kenya. Its got its good and bad side and you experienced it all. Well done you!!